The benefits of healthy skin care habits include:
1) Prevent (or clear up) a blotchy complexion
2) Retain skin’s youthful firmness longer
3) Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
4) Keep complexion looking brighter and younger
5) Avoid leathery skin
6) Reduce skin cancer risk
1) Protect your skin from the sun: Sun protection forms the foundation of every anti-aging skin-care plan. The sun’s rays make our skin age more quickly. We have so much evidence that the sun prematurely ages our skin that there is actually a word to describe this effect. This word is “photoaging.” To help patients protect their skin from the sun and other harmful UV rays, dermatologists offer these tips: Seek shade: Be sure to seek shade between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and whenever your shadow looks shorter than you are. Cover up in style: Whenever possible, wear a wide-brimmed hat, pants, and long sleeves. Gloves help to minimize common signs of aging on our hands such as age spots. Sunglasses help reduce fine lines around our eyes. Slather on the sunscreen every day before going outdoors: To protect your skin, apply sunscreen to all skin that clothing will not cover. You want to use a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection, SPF 30 (or higher), and water resistance. Forget about indoor tanning: The sun, tanning beds, and sun lamps expose you to harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. These rays accelerate skin aging.
2) Apply moisturizer every day: As we age, skin becomes drier. Fine lines and wrinkles appear. Moisturizer traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance. For best results, use a facial moisturizer, body moisturizer, and lip balm.
3) Wash away dirt and grime twice a day: How you wash your face can affect your appearance. For best results, you want to wash with warm water and a mild cleanser rather than soap. You also should avoid scrubbing your skin clean.
4) Eat healthy foods: A healthy diet promotes healthy skin. Make sure you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
5) Get enough sleep: It’s called beauty rest for a reason. Sleep gives your body time to refresh and renew itself.
How to select anti-aging skin care products:
1) Start with sunscreen and moisturizer: Dermatologists agree that sunscreen and moisturizer are the two most-effective anti-aging products you can buy. Using these every day can make a noticeable difference.
2) Use a specially formulated moisturizer: An anti-aging moisturizer helps to minimize fine lines. It is so effective that moisturizer is the secret ingredient in many anti-aging products. Using a moisturizer with sunscreen is fine. Just be sure that the product offers broad-spectrum coverage and an SPF of 30 or higher. If you will spend time outdoors during the day, you should apply a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection, SPF 30 (or higher). Be sure to reapply your sunscreen every two hours while outdoors.
3) Treat your #1 aging-skin concern: Give sunscreen and moisturizer a few weeks to work. Then look at your skin. Is there still a sign of aging that bothers you? By focusing on one concern, such as wrinkles or dark spots, you’ll get the best results. Look for a product that targets your concern. Don't overdo it or try to attack too many skin issues at once. You don't want to irritate your skin.
4) Have realistic expectations: It’s important to remember that anti-aging skin care products deliver results. But you cannot get the results of a facelift from a cream.